首页 -> 2005年第9期

生活的忠告

作者:佚 名




  文/佚 名 译/思 晴
  不知道各位有没有这样的感觉,学习一种语言,随着对它的深入理解,你会慢慢地跳过语言本身的条条框框,转而对它背后的文化产生兴趣。不知道你有没有兴趣和我一起仔细读读下面的句子?在英文原句和中文译文之间所传递的,除了语言点本身,还时常反射出两种文化的异同点,希望你无论看哪种文字的版本,都可以有所体悟……
  1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
  给予别人的远远超出他们的期许值,并满心欢喜地去做。
  2.Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.
  不要轻信你听到的每件事,不要花光你的所有,不要想睡多久就睡多久。
  3.When you say,“I love you”, mean it.
  无论何时说“我爱你”,请真心实意地去表达。
  4.When you say,“I'm sorry”, look the person in the eye.
  无论何时说“对不起”,请认真地望向对方的眼睛,让对方看到你的诚意。
  5.Believe in love at the first sight.
  相信一见钟情。
  6.Never laugh at anyone's dreams.
  不要嘲笑他人的梦想。
  7.Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
  深情热烈地爱,也许你会受伤,但这是使你的人生完整的唯一方式。
  8.In disagreements, fight fairly. No name-calling.
  用一种公平磊落的方法解决争议,不要冒犯。
  9.Talk slowly but think quickly.
  话要慢慢来讲,但思维要保持敏捷。
  10.When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
  失败了,不要连同教训一起失去(别忘了汲取教训)。
  11.Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
  记住三个“尊”:尊重自己;尊重他人;对自己的行为负责。
  12.Don't let a little dispute injurea great friendship.
  不要让一场小小的争端毁掉一段伟大的友谊。
  13.When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps tocorrect it.
  当你发现自己犯了错误,一定要竭尽所能、尽快补救它。
  14.Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
  打电话时,请保持微笑,因为对方能从你的声音里感觉到你的快乐。
  15.Spend some time alone.
  找点时间,独自呆会儿。
  16.Open your arms to change but don't let go of your values.
  坦然接受改变,但不要摒弃你的个人理念。
  17.Read more books and watch less TV.
  多读书,少看电视。
  18. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time.
  过一种高尚而诚实的生活。当年老时回想起过去,你就能再一次享受人生。
  19. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
  每年至少去一个你从没去过的地方。
  20. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
  记住,有时没有得到你想要的,往往也是一种幸运。
  21. Remember that the best relationship is the one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
  记住:最良性的关系在于对别人的爱多于对别人的索求。
  22. In love and cooking, you must give 100% effort... but expect little appreciation.
  无论是烹饪还是爱情,都用百分之百的负责态度对待,但是不要乞求太多的回报。
  23. Remember what life tells you.
  熟记生活告诉你的一切。
  24. When someone sneezes, say“bless you”.
  当别人打喷嚏时,说一声“上帝保佑”。
  25.Try your best to let family harmony flow smoothly.
  尽你的能力让家平顺和谐。
  26. When you quarrel with a close friend, talk about the main dish, don't quibble over the appetizers.
  当你和亲近的朋友吵嘴时,试着就事论事,不要扯出那些陈芝麻、烂谷子的事。
  27. You cannot hold onto yesterday.
  不要摆脱不了昨天。
  28. Figure out the meaning of someone's words.
  多注意别人言下之意。
  29. Share your knowledge to continue a timeless tradition.
  和别人分享你的知识,那才是永恒之道。
  30. Treat our earth in a friendly way, don't fool around with mother nature.
  善待我们的地球,不要愚弄自然母亲。
  31. Do the thing you should do.
  做自己该做的事。
  32.Understand rules completely and change them reasonably.
  深刻理解所有的规则,合理地更新它们。
  33. Comment on the success you have attained by looking in the past at the target you wanted to achieve most.
  回头看看你发誓取得的目标,然后评价你到底有多成功。
  
  细节链接
  ① cheerfully:(ad.)高高兴兴地。
  ② mean it:在这里相当于seriously(认真地)。此外,当mean一词用作形容词来形容动物时,还有“凶猛、凶巴巴”的意思,如:It's a mean dog.(这是一只凶狠的狗。)当这个单词用来形容人时,则表示“小气、吝啬、刻薄”之意。比如:Why are you so mean to me? (你怎么对我如此刻薄?)
  ③love at the first sight:一见钟情。love at the second sight就是电视节目中经常提到的“二见钟情”了吧!
  ④ laugh at:讥笑、嘲笑。
  ⑤ passionately:(ad.)热烈地,热情地。
  ⑥ name-calling:(n.)骂人。
  ⑦ dispute:(n.)争论,辩论。
  ⑧ injure:在这里相当于destroy(毁坏、毁掉)。
  ⑨ take immediate steps to do sth.:尽快做某事。
  ⑩ a second time:再一次、又一次。
   talk about the main dish:就事论事。